So I am known to be a relatively good baker, but usually only really bake at Christmas time. My brother’s stag was last week and I had made up a bunch of baking for it though – because I love him so much ; ) – and thought I would share one of the recipes of my Mom’s that is a favourite of mine and my future sister in-law!
Peanut Butter Crispy Squares
Ingredients for base:
- 1 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of corn syrup
- 2 cups of rice krispie cereal
- 2 cups of corn flakes cereal
Directions for base:
- Melt peanut butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in double boiler or pot on the stove top.
- Once boiling and sugar had melted well, remove from heat.
- Stir in the rice krispies and corn flakes.
- Press into lightly greased 8×8″ baking pan. (I used 9×13″ in the photo, as I doubled the recipe)
- Set aside and begin to prepare the top.
Ingredients for top:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
Directions for top:
- Add the brown sugar, butter, milk and corn syrup into a double boiler or pot to melt.
- Once it begins to boil, let boil for 2 mins.
- Then remove from heat and add the icing sugar, flour and vanilla.
- Using whisk, whisk everything together to remove any lumps.
- Pour over base and smooth out to cover all the surface.
- Place in the refrigerator to harden up.
- When you want to cut it, remove from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for a few minutes. Mine always comes out of the pan in 1 piece and I am able to cut into squares on a cutting board.
These squares do really well to freeze too – if you wanted to make ahead, or freeze for a later date! Enjoy! : )